Do You Premedicate?
The American Heart Association has recently changed its guidelines concerning premedication with antibiotics prior to dental procedures. If you have taken a premed antibiotic in the past, Dr. Chomas advises that you check with your physician to determine whether premedication is still recommended or can be discontinued.
The guidelines say that patients who have taken prophylactic (preventive) antibiotics routinely in the past but no longer need them include people with:
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Rheumatic heart disease
- Bicuspid valve disease
- Calcified aortic stenosis
- Congenital heart conditions such as ventricular septal defect, atrial septal defect, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Patients with the following conditions are considered to be at risk of adverse effects from endocarditis and treatment with prophylactic antibiotics is recommended:
- Prosthetic cardiac valve
- Previous infective endocarditis
- Congenital heart disease (CHD), including:
- Unrepaired cyanotic CHD
- Repaired congenital heart defects within the first 6 months after the surgery or repair procedure
- Repaired CHD with residual defects at the site of the prosthetic patch or device
- Cardiac transplantation patients who develop cardiac valvulopathy
Dr. Chomas recently read an article about a new 'healthy Coke' recipe going viral on TikTok. Read more about the potential harm below.
- The 'healthy Coke' recipe going viral on TikTok will stain and erode your teeth more than Coca-Cola, dentists say
This article recently came across Dr. Chomas' desk and he feels this is worth passing on to our patients concerning Nontraditional Orthodontic Treatment.
What's New Archive
- COVID-19 Update
- Tooth Decay Prevention
- Tooth Eruption Chart for Primary and Permanent Teeth
- Self Medication Dangers
- In-Office Teeth Whitening
- It's all about sugar
- Childhood Tooth Development
- Thoughts and Concerns about Oral Cancer
- Dental Decay and Nutrition
- Dental Care During a Recession
- Increased Dental Decay among Patients with Asthma
- Do You Premedicate?
- The AcuCam® Concept® IV
- The World Would Benefit from Having a Lot More Watsontowns